Sunday, February 06, 2005

Hey, let's play a game

As you may well have noticed, I'm still having trouble writing entries. I've had ideas, ideas that I'll probably put to use at a later date, and time to write them down, but watching a bad romantic comedy on TBS always seems more pressing. Go figure. So in an effort to jump start my creative juices, I'm going to steal an idea from my friend John. Only mine is going to be less structured because I'm lazy.

Basically I'm going to list some of my favorite movie quotes and you, the mere 5 or so people who actually read this blog, are going to guess the various movies that they come from. As soon as one is guessed, it will be crossed off the list. I know these are all really easy, but please don't guess them all too soon as I still have to learn how to actually cross things out in HTML.

1) "Remove head from sphincter, then drive!"
Ten Things I Hate about You guessed by J.B. One of my all time favorites. You just don't here the word sphincter enough in casual conversation.

2) "And there's Marla Hooch. What a hitter!"
A League of Their Own also guessed by J.B., although Nick did mention this one to me in person. This quote is a lot funnier in context though.

3) "YEAH. Got the Holy Spirit. You should get on it. It's a good train."

4) "Who's scruffy looking?"
The Empire Strikes Back guessed by resident Star Wars geek, Brian.

5) "And I thought there are four of us, if we ever find the lady. Hello lady!"
The Princess Bride guessed by everyone and their mother.

6) "Damn you, Salazar! Damn you!"
Charlie's Angels, guessed by Eric. So obvious, but I had to include it.

7) "Why don't you shove 'em up your ass?"
"Because it would hurt a lot, Warren."

Empire Records again guessed by J.B. The inclusion of the word "Warren" was kind of a dead giveaway.

8) "You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?"

Clerks guessed by Eric. Perfect for me. Except for the loving gatherings part.

9) "Oh big sacrifice. Everyone you know is dead. Glad you could tear yourself away."
Thumb Wars. I knew Eric would get this one and I was not disappointed.

10) "I love this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it. Let's do it."
Ghostbusters guessed by film professional Tara. This narrowly beat out the "dogs and cats living together speech" but that seemed so obvious.

11) "Ladies, Ladies, Ladies. Stop tonguing the foyer!"

12) "I'm a guy, I have pride."
"No, you're not a guy. The world is full of guys. Be a man."

13) "Only one reason Christian girls come down to the Planned Parenthood."
"She's planting a pipe bomb?"
"Ok, two reasons."

Saved, J.B. got it. The thing I like about this quote (aside from the obvious humor) is that the second line is delivered sincerely not sarcastically, like he honestly couldn't think of another reason why a Christian girl would sneak off to Planned Parenthood.

14)"Well fuck me with a chainsaw, Veronica"
Heathers guessed by Eric. Such imagery there.

15) "Don't make any sudden moves."
"Why not? Is there a bee on me?"

16) "Wait up, wait for me. Not you, I don't even know you."

17) "Genocide's the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer."
Dogma guessed by Tara, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. And soccer is very exhausting.

18) "Peter, this is the worst time you could have called! Go away! Ok, bye."
Trekkies guessed once again by Tara. Showoff. Anyway, this is the only movie I've had to pause twice because I (and my other viewing companions) were laughing too hard to continue.

19) "I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
When Harry Met Sally guessed by Tara. She's on a roll. It's one of my two "sincere" quotes. In my defense, it's not delivered in a terribly schmoopy way.

20) "You can never go home again, Oatman. But I guess you can shop there."
Grosse Point Blank guessed by the mysterious Ocean. This movie is so hilarious it made it very difficult to choose just one quote.

I'm sure there are more awesome quotes out there, but I can't really think of them right now. Have fun, and give everyone a chance to play.

11 Comments:

At February 16, 2005 at 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually suprised that I think I recognize more than I thought... so here goes my guesses.

1. 10 things I hate about you.
2. A league of thier Own.
3. The Princess Bride.
7. Empire Records
13. Saved

I think that is it... and to strike something out should be by surrounding it by (strike) (/strike) just change the ('s to <'s and )'s to >'s.
btw this is j.b. ;-)

 
At February 17, 2005 at 12:52 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Not actually true, at least the way I read it. A Strike is made by putting < s > at the beginning and < /s > at the end (remove the superfluous spaces).
And since John answered some I can now go

6) Charlie's Angels
8) Clerks
9) ThumbWars
14) Heathers

See? I was holding back :)

 
At February 17, 2005 at 8:03 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Well #3 isn't The Princess Bride, but everything else is right. Good job boys!

 
At February 17, 2005 at 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well a lot have been guessed already (dammit), but...

5) the princess bride

10) ghostbusters

18) trekkies (hell, yeah!)

19) when harry met sally


and 15... hmmm i know i should know that. but i don't. 12, too... what ever will i do?

 
At February 17, 2005 at 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wait, there's more!

17) dogma


i love this game. let's play more.

 
At February 18, 2005 at 12:29 AM, Blogger Ocean said...

20. Grosse Pointe Blank

Another good one from that movie: "leave your livestock alone"

 
At February 18, 2005 at 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok so I can't count. :-P
your original post didn't have numbers. I was right about Princess bride, just said the wrong number :-(

 
At February 18, 2005 at 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta give 4 & 5 to Empire Strikes Back and Princess Bride - There are others I recognise, but my head hurts and I'm not concentrating right now... I should do my own one of these here too, ya know...

Miss/love...

Brian

 
At February 22, 2005 at 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey is 12 'say anything'? i can just picture lili taylor saying that to john cusack...

 
At May 24, 2005 at 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

16) Princess Diaries, right?

 
At August 13, 2005 at 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

# 3 is from "Italian Job" guessed by Little Snehee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home